Reviewing our indications and contraindications for PICC insertions and looking for input:
Is history of upper arm venous thrombosis (superficial or deep) an absolute contraindication?
If patient has current upper arm venous thrombosis (superficial or deep), do you place on the opposite arm?
If the patient is on anticoagulants, does that make a difference?
Regarding blood cultures, assuming there is an indication for PICC:
If the patient has blood cultures (BC) still pending, do you wait until you have final results to place PICC?
If the cultures are drawn and the patient is on antibiotics, do you place the PICC before BC are final?
Appreciate any input.