Looking for information and references as to Lab Draws from CVLs with focus in Pediatrics.
1. How much waste is drawn off?
2. Is the waste returned?
3. What method is used for this procedure? Stopcock?
4. Is there a time frame the waste must be returned? i.e. return waste within 1 minute of of drawing?
5.Â Is the practice to direct access or draw thru the cap and then change the cap after the labs are drawn?
6.Â Does your policy state to change the cap after each lab draw and is that the actual practice?Â
7. Is the cap change a "sterile" techniqe with sterile gloves, or prep junction/threads with alcohol and "no-touch?
8. When accessing a Mediport that has been Hep locked with 100 Units/ml, is the waste discarded, returned or the first 2 ml of waste discarded?
9. Does anyone have a weight based lab volume/24 hr maximun allowed to be drawn? Please share.
All may be e-mailed to me @ [email protected]
Thank you in advance for your help.