Forum topic

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lab techs drawing blood from CVCs

Currently it is our policy that only RN's draw blood samples from CVCs.  Due to staffing issues/challenges, I have been asked to find out what other facilities are doing.  Does anyone allow lab techs to perform central line blood draws?  What are your thoughts about this?  We are looking at ways to decrease nursing time and this was one of the suggestions.   Also, what are your thoughts on nuclear med techs accessing ports?  Again, in our facility this has always been a nursing responsibility but many times the tech and the patient need to wait for someone to access the port and they find this very frustrating.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.   Vickie

That would be a state
That would be a state practice act issue. Some states may allow unlicensed personnel to access Central IV catheters, but many state that this is a RN responsibiity.  For instance, in Florida, even LPNs cannot access a central catheter without first taking a 30 hr IV course that includes 4 hrs of Central Line information.   With the risk of central line infections increasing with each access of the central line, it may be prudent to limit those who may access a central line.  Remember, as of October 1, hospitals will not be reimbused by CMS and some private insurance companies for CRBSIs. 
I would have serious

I would have serious reservations about delegating blood sampling from CVC's to lab techs. You would definitely need to check your state board of nursing for their rules about delegation. From what I have read, I would not consider this to be a task that could be delegated. Considering the fact that hub manipulation increases contamination and risk of infection, and the fact the hospital-acquired CRBSI will not be reimbursed after Oct 1, 2008, I would not go there. 

 Do the nuclear med techs in your state have a license? What are the standards from their professional organization about access implanted ports? If there are none, I would also have reservations about allowing this also. Will these techs be using this port for high pressure injection? How do they determine that the each port is or is not a high pressure injectable port? I would be concerned about port damage and infiltration/extravasation since this is a greater risk with an implanted port. 

Lynn Hadaway, M.Ed., RN, BC, CRNI

Lynn Hadaway, M.Ed., NPD-BC, CRNI

Lynn Hadaway Associates, Inc.

PO Box 10

Milner, GA 30257


Office Phone 770-358-7861

Kathy Kokotis Bard Access

Kathy Kokotis

Bard Access Systems

Should you need to develop comoetencies if you state board approves.  Minnesotata state board allows un-liscensed practitioners by the way to place PIV's.  You can check with Texas because their board I believe does as well. 

Here is the book

Intravenous Infusion Therapy for Medical Assistants Dianne L. Josephson American Association of Medical Assistants Thonmson delmar Learning 2006

I got it on

Hope that I provided some help


Kathy Kokotis

Bard Access Systems

Log in or register to post comments